National Pork Industry Conference
This week the National Pork Industry Conference in Wisconsin has 950 attendees. We were fortunate to speak. Here are some of the text of our talk:
- 90% of all Pigs in the world are not raised in USA-Canada
- USA pork exports over 25% of production – #1 pork exporting country in the world
- Canada pork exports – 50% of production – #2 pork exporting country in the world
- 44% of all meat eaten in the world is pork.
- Russia has about two million sows
- Has basically stopped all Pork Imports
- ASF-Europe, Paylean- Canada & Brazil – renewed EU ban for 1 year
- Rapid modernization ongoing – about 25% of production still back yard
- The Russian Hog Price in some weeks recently 91 Rubles a kg 78.49¢US/lb – feed costs similar to USA – cost of production 50¢ USD/lb. liveweight
- Disease major impediment to expansion – African Swine Fever creates real uneasiness for investors
- Industry has varied production results
- Industry ownership strong links to government – border controls – leading to profits of $75 USD per head.
- Farrow to Finish – no contract barns all capital $10,000 per sow – debt repayment 8 years Investment – 2,500 sows – $25 million USD
- Genesus has exports
Genesus Nucleus farm in Russia
- 1.3 billion people – half the worlds hog production
- Rapid Industrialization of swine production as there is a transition from backyard and small farms to large modern farms
- Hog Prices in China were $1.43 USD/lb. ($2.75/kg) a year ago. Currently 90¢ USD/lb.
- Consumption has increased 400% to 40 kgs per person since 1990!
- High Disease will limit productivity – Many farms at 14.98 pigs sold per sow per year. 2800 lbs. per sow per year.
- Corn prices have gone down $10.50 U.S per bushel to $5.50
- Europe has gained most of import market – equivalent to 5 million hogs +
- New environmental laws force relocation of farms due to environmental up to 10% of national inventory
Genesus at Wens Group in China
This post was written by Genesus